I have a love/hate relationship with paint. I love how it can absolutely transform any room. I hate that I am the messiest painter on earth and it makes my body hurt. Now as for my body I’m sure the answer to that is the gym, but let’s be honest that’s not happening. As for the cleanliness of my paint work… I think I’m a hopeless case. Today I am going to give you a run-down of my favorite items for painting a room, some tips on what has worked for me, and what hasn’t.
What Not to Do
Okay, let’s start what doesn’t work… because we all know that’s why you’re here. Let’s talk prep… I hate it sooo… I’ve made a few messes. When you are considering what you should paint, let’s find a better way to prep than I have.
- Although those five gallon jugs of paint look appealing don’t do it. Have you ever picked on up? They are just too difficult to manage.
- Don’t take short cuts… I know you want too… just don’t do it. This means tape all the things and buy quality brushes.
- Be knowledgeable that there are 1,248,997 different shades of white
- When the Home Depot guy tells you, it won’t work… it won’t work. Just trust him.
Silent White by Behr completely transformed this room! Now all I need to do is finish up the trim and electrical plates.
What to Do
Now that we have that out of the way let’s talk how we can be successful in the wonderful world of paint. Let’s start by saying, you are only as good as your supplies!
- Pick your paint brand. I am partial to Behr paint by Home Depot. It is amazing, thick and easy to apply. I have tried others, trust me, just go with Behr.
- Remove all trim before starting, it’s not worth taping. It will just leak through if you are a messy painter like me.
- Plastic Drop Cloths are your best friend! Use the canvas ones for drop cloth drapes or DIY’s because if you drop paint on them it leaks through.
- Be patient, one look at a room and you think you can get it done in a day. The problem is that’s not always the case so take your time and don’t worry if it turns into a multi-day project.
- Watch a paint video or two from Home Depot or You Tube, I found them very helpful when it came to tips on applying paint. Before this I had no idea there were techniques to painting.
Products I Use
At the end of the day painting is a big project but worth all the effort. If you are DIYing a home renovation like we are then save the money when you should paint a room and do it yourself! You can do it! Below I’m going to link for you some of my go to products, I have painted most of my house with only these products. There are lots of other things you can buy, but I have literally painted over dark purple paint with only these things, so it can be done.
- Behr Ultra – https://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/PPU26-13
- Wooster Brush – https://amzn.to/31MulWW
- Paint Edger – https://amzn.to/2HbkSB0
- Paint Roller – https://amzn.to/31Hv2kz
- Extension Pole- https://amzn.to/2Hbf629
- Paint Stir – https://amzn.to/2Z5i5zi
- Paint Opener – https://amzn.to/2KCLsVG
- Plastic Drop Cloths – https://amzn.to/2z6iUNC
Well that’s all I have for now! I’m sure your next paint project will be equal parts annoyance and happiness, because that’s how it usually goes for me too! Check out last week’s post on a easy DIY with some prints from Etsy and frames from Michael’s Stores.