We truly enjoy having guests at our house. Keeping a cozy guest bedroom is key something I try my hardest to do. We haven’t always had the best guest bedroom. Over the years we have often given our room to our guests and spent the weekend sleeping on a air mattress. It never stopped us from inviting people and it likely never will. In this current season of life we have not only a guest bedroom for friends but an additional guest bedroom for their kids.
Below are a few tricks to ensure our guest room is ready and waiting for the next arrival.
5 Steps to a Cozy Guest Bedroom
- Keep it Clean– It is easy to use the guest bedroom as a drop zone. The problem with this is when you get that call that someone is coming to stay you have to clean it! Instead we keep this room clean as can be all year round, that includes changing sheets and cleaning up after each guest. This way the room just needs a simple sprucing up and you are ready to go. ( I learned this one from my mom.)
- Extra Linens- For a cozy guest room, extra linens goes beyond just towels. Making sure there are bath towels, hand towels and wash clothes for the number of guests and the time they will stay is important. In addition to that, stock the guest bedroom closet with pillows, blankets and quilts in case it gets chilly.
- Wifi Access- It may seem simple but having the wifi passcode displayed helps your guests feel welcome. People come with multiple devices and although it’s easy to ask what it is, people forget it and feel weird asking again. Keep it displayed on the nightstand or somewhere in their room so it’s always accessible.
- Toiletries- Ever go out of town and forget your toothbrush? Keeping some extra toiletries is always helpful. Have a small basket with some of the basics. This doesn’t need to cost much, toothbrushes from the Dollar Tree and leftover travel size shampoos from our latest hotel stay make up the stash we keep handy.
- Books and Movies- Many guests spend most of their alone time on their own devices, keeping extra phone chargers, books and DVD’s in easy access is helpful. The television in our guest bedroom doesn’t have access to cable but it does have a DVD player. Having a few items in easy access for parents and kids makes entertaining themselves before bed or during down time a bit easier.
No matter what your guest bedroom situation looks like, you can make small adjustments to make people feel at home during their stay. Many of these things you can set up one time and leave it! Those are my favorite kinds of changes.
What are some of the things you do to prepare for your own house guests?
Check out the link below for how we set up the Kid’s Guest Bedroom: